Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I was in Charge of Buns

In celebration of the Thanksgiving holiday rapidly approaching:

It was our first Thanksgiving as a married couple traveling to his aunt's house to be with his side of the family. Excitement ran high as we joked about how we would now get to have our own room. We even had been put in charge of a part of the meal: dinner rolls.

The family time was wonderful. We laughed, played games, took walks around his aunt's neighborhood and admired the houses and trees. Dinner preparations soon began and the ladies (and guys, too) were a buzz in the the kitchen. Knowing that there would be several items in need of the oven, my new Hubs' aunt enlisted the help of the neighbor's oven for our dinner rolls. She found me and told me to get the rolls ready for the oven. I proudly laid my buns out on several sheets for the oven. She walked them over to the neighbors and told me to check on them when they would be ready.

I forgot.

About 20 or so minutes later his aunt came in the house with several trays of more than browned dinner rolls. Her look was firm but kind. In the hurry and scurry of the other dinner preparations she had remembered, but I hadn't. I was mortified. I had been in charge of the most simple part of the meal (except for applesauce) and I failed! I apologized. Everyone had a good chuckle over it and even swallowed down some more than brown rolls with dinner. (with a bit of gravy they weren't too bad...at least that's what they said)

In years since the family has been kind enough to give me several second chances. Once, I even was given the highly acclaimed-major family tradition-recipe from generations for Cinnamon Apples. That was slightly better than the buns experience, but I was under more watchful eye. This past Thanksgiving I was given sweet potato casserole. I used a family recipe again and supposedly it turned out great.

This year it is our turn to visit with my family.

They don't trust me at all...I'm in charge of applesauce.


**update on applesauce*** forgot to bring nice bowl and spoon to place applesauce in. Result: about four scoops of applesauce where taken. About 40 people in attendance.

1 comment: