Thursday, December 13, 2007

1st Snow fun!





Recently we had the first good snow of the winter. The kids were so excited to head out! We loaded them up with the several needed layers (bathroom break first) and out they went!


I remember that wonder and excitement from when I was young. My brothers and I would get bundled up and play for what seemed like hours out in winter's gift to kids. My mom has a great picture of us as we are just coming in from playing outside with my dad in the snow. We're covered in the white stuff, melting blobs of snow in the entryway. Inside it was always hot chocolate to greet us and warm us, as we recounted the battles of the previous hours.

I want that for my kids. I want to forget about worrying that they'll get runny noses, or chilly body parts. I want them to sit at our table with rosy noses, gobbling "smarshmellows" (Ellie speak"), and reliving the day in excited sibling conversation.

This was Ellie's first year where she was actually happy to be in the snow. Last year, she was the "Statue of a Small Child" in the snow. She would just stand, unable to garner enough bravery to make even the smallest of steps. This year....her favorite phrase was..."CANNONBALL!" She would jump, knees first into the snow. One of the pictures above shows her "landing." She also got to make her snow "angle." Although the finesse of standing up after making it and not stepping all over it is something yet to be attained! Josh was the veteran this year, remembering how fun it was to go down our playset slide to land in the soft snow. He was trying to master snowball-making. True to his first born personality, he asked many questions about how you make the perfect snowball, at the same time recounting the rules about how it should never be thrown into the face of an unsuspecting friend. (He's learning something at kindergarten!) Owen watched from inside, grunting and smacking his hands against the cool slider door as he saw his future playground. Wow, I can't wait for that day!

3 comments:

Emily Dykstra said...

Awwww... I love that family photo! It is so great! And I love those snow stories. Don't you feel like "we're making memories RIGHT NOW" as you do them?

Kris said...

I TOTALLY am thinking that Em! And all the times I try to set it up it never works, and then the spur of the moment things are the greatest memories!
K

Sittintall said...

Those are great pictures, and I am sure that you are making memories. I can already picture them as adults pondering on all the wonderful memories you helped instill!