Thursday, June 12, 2008

Left to their own devices...

We have a sprinkler. The one that goes back and forth. Back and forth. The neighbors have this great big inflatable water slide that puts our little sprinkler to shame. But, oddly, our kids don't seem like they're missing out. (We'll bring the pool out soon, when the Hubs decides which part of his beautiful lawn he's willing to sacrifice for the sake of fun in the sun.)

We've put the sprinkler on a few times now. I thought, ok, they'll be bored of it in about 2.2 minutes and then I'll have to come up with something. But they didn't. In fact, they invented their own ways to make the sprinkler more fun than back and forth. Back and forth.

Did you know that a sprinkler can be picked up? Oh yes, friends, this is was the key revelation that opened up numerous opportunities for running and screaming. When picked up, the sprinkler became the key player in a game of water tag. Get tagged by the water, and you're it. They made their own water slide using the one on our playset.

Ingenious little buggers, eh?

My favorite part that had me laughing out loud, was when we had changed the sprinkler to an even more "exciting" version...the super stationary sprinkler. This kind is meant to water a small area using a variety of shapes to spray the water in a certain direction. Ellie picked up the sprinkler which was on the half-moon option. She's holding it behind her, half-moon facing her, running away from the water. Screaming. Laughing. Running. I'm pretty sure the idea of this is lost without a picture. (I was up to my elbows in dirt potting flowers) But the one in my head will have me laughing all day. So, until the sequel plays out again in our backyard, here's some fun action photos from the inaugural sprinkle of the summer.


3 comments:

Sittintall said...

Oh how FUN! What creative kids you have. Oh those summer time giggles and screams, they're baack!

We have a sprinkler, but as you know Kyra won't even attempt to go near one. We were even in the store yesterday and saw a fancy one on sale for $6! Kyra said "I want it please please please!" I said, I'll only buy it if you promise to go through a sprinkler. She said, "we better not." No sense in buying a deal if it ain't gonna get used!

Emily Dykstra said...

That is soooo great... Kids don't need a whole lot to find creativity and fun for summer, huh? And sprinklers are the good old-fashioned summer kind of fun that they will remember forever. I love it.

It's up there with watermelons and 4th of July.

Jenni S. said...

Oh how I wish it would warm up here again so I could get out the wading pool. Looks like you all are having a great summer together so far!