Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mom's Meatloaf

One of the things I want to continue this new year is try new recipes, perfect old ones and in general, keep the family on their toes when it comes to dinnertime! I've been pretty excited this past year making new things and ideas from great cooks.  So I thought it was time to bring out a family favorite.  This IS the best meatloaf recipe I have.  It does not photograph well, but I promise you it is YUmmy! 
P.S.  I made the potatoes myself, too!  Hubs said that I need to ONLY make those whenever we have roasted potatoes.  I mixed olive oil and this rosemary/garlic spice mix that I got from AL*DI and threw those puppies in the oven.  Go figure.




Mom's Meatloaf
From: Grandpa W.

1 1/2 lb ground beef (or pork/beef mix)
2/3 C soft bread crumbs
1/2 C chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C. milk
Piquant Sauce

Piquant Sauce:
1/2 C brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 C ketchup
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine meat, onion, salt, pepper, eggs and milk in large bowl; stir well.  Shape meat mixture into dome-shape loaf in baking pan (choose your favorite).  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and pour off liquid grease.  Spread piquant sauce over top of meatloaf and return to oven for 15 minutes more.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sittintall said...

Funny, I just made dad's meatloaf recipe this past Tuesday for dinner too!

Kris said...

Ours was Sunday!
k

Jenni S. said...

That looks delicious! The recipe is very similar to my mom's - even the topping. The only difference is that she used rice instead of bread crumbs.

Emily Dykstra said...

Mmmmm! Thanks for sharing!